By Mylene Santos
A vlogger’s work describing Filipinas’ obsession to have a fairer, whiter skin flooded the internet recently. In the said video, vlogger Mike Grogan, admired Filipinas’ brown skin but was surprised by how much they want instead to have a whiter skin.
Many, especially those gifted with white skin, cannot understand Filipinas’ obsession to have a whiter skin. Skin whitening products have in fact found a huge market here, with several new products entering the market year after year that consumers have difficulty choosing which brand to use.
While the desire to have a fairer, whiter skin is harmless, choosing the right product would be wise. Product testimonials on how ‘fast’ their skin became fairer should not be enough. Having an almost ‘instant’ whiter skin should not be the criteria, but ‘how effective’ and ‘how safe’ a skin whitening product should be. On top of this is the integrity of the manufacturer. Run-of-the-mill companies manufacturing these products may just be in for a quick profit, but a company that is built in years of integrity care more for their consumers.
Know your skin whitening product. A few may work well in short term but are harmful to long-term health of your skin. Your products may carry harmful ingredient like mercury, a toxic chemical that has been banned as ingredient in skin whitening products. Yet, despite the ban, many run-of-the-mill manufacturers use it on a dangerously elevated level, giving your skin fast-acting bleaching effects while exposing your skin and body to adverse side effects and health concerns. Many of these products are cheap and affordable but long-term use can cause skin discoloration, malfunction of the nervous system and the kidney, and increased risk of cancer.
Mercury is easily absorbed into the body but is not easily removed. World Health Organization reported that exposure to mercury can also cause depression.
Why risk exposure to mercury and other toxic ingredients when you have a trusted brand of high quality?
New Placenta by Psalmstre is a home-grown brand that has been in the market for more than 15 years. From its inception to its launch, through years of developing its winning formulation to have included Bio-Placenta® combined with Aloe Vera, Papaya Extract, Vitamin E, Virgin Coconut Oil, and other natural active ingredients, New Placenta has established its name among Filipino consumers as a high-quality skin whitening soap that is safe and effective for regular use.
In fact, New Placenta has penetrated the Middle East market, specifically Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Dubai, known markets with the strictest quality control. New Placenta’s global consumers now include Middle Eastern women, aside from millions of Overseas Filipino Workers living and working in said region.
Completing women’s regimen to have a whiter skin, Psalmstre’s New Placenta has two soap variants – Classic and with Goat’s Milk, plus lotion, and day and night cream. Use of the combination of these New Placenta products is recommended for restoring skin vitality and maintenance of skin health.
Don’t be easily deceived. Know your product, know your manufacturer, and foremost, know what your skin truly deserves – a whiter, fairer, glowing skin without blemishes, a brand promise of Psalmstre’s New Placenta that it has been delivering for more than a decade.
For more information on Psalmstre’s New Placenta product line, or for distributorship inquiries, call Psalmstre Enterprises, Inc. Manila office at 715-2500 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com.
By Mylene Santos
Skin cancer can be avoided. Aside from living a healthy lifestyle including eating a balanced diet and taking supplements, daily habits can be huge factor in avoiding skin cancer.
Many are mistaken by two common myths- that one should use sunblock cream only during summer, where the temperature is high, or only when one has to be outdoors. Busting these myths are thousands of articles online and advices from skin specialists.
Harmful UV sunrays are present in winter time and can do as much damage to your skin even in low temperatures. And staying indoors does not guarantee you protection from UV sunrays.
Now the tricky part is choosing your sunscreen. It is wise to read the label and see if its approved by BFAD. It won’t also hurt to check the brand and the integrity of its manufacturer.
We share with you below two major considerations in choosing the right sunscreen for you.
1. Broad spectrum protection – this means your sunscreen cream can protect your skin from both UVA and UVB rays. All sunscreen creams contain UVB ray protection against sunburn and skin cancers. But not all contain UVA protection against premature aging.
2. SPF 30 or higher – recommended sun protection factor (SPF) is at least 30. This means the level of sunscreen filter against UVB rays. Below 15 means protection only against sunburn and not skin cancer and aging.
For those who are not so inclined to add another layer of cream on their skin, choose face creams and body lotions that already include sunscreen protection. Aside from saving time allowing moisturizing cream or lotion to get absorbed by the skin before application of sunscreen cream, this can also save you money as you need not buy moisturizing creams/lotions and sunscreen cream separately.
Psalmstre’s New Placenta product line has been in the market for more than 15 years. Built with integrity and unmatched consumer care, New Placenta’s breakthrough technology allows for high quality home-grown products which are budget friendly yet effective and safe to use. Aside from New Placenta Classic and With Goat’s Milk soap variants, the product line also offers Day and Night Cream and Hand & Body Lotion.
New Placenta Day Cream contains botanical extracts and Bio-Placenta®, an imported ingredient from South Korea known for its anti-aging property. The cream contains sunscreen protection and is non-greasy, perfect as a base for make-up. Regular use reverses signs of photo-aged skin while making skin whiter, softer, and younger-looking.
New Placenta Night Cream also contains botanical extracts and Bio-Placenta®. Its formulation corrects skin health from all-day sun exposure and pollutants. Its intense nourishing properties allows you to wake up with a glowing, healthy, and plump skin.
Lastly, New Placenta Hand & Body Lotion, which also contains botanical extracts and Bio-Placenta®, has sunscreen protection against harmful sunrays. It is mildly scented and it moisturizes skin without giving you a greasy after-feel.
Consumers can opt for local yet high quality brand of skin care products like New Placenta by Psalmstre. New Placenta products are available in leading supermarkets, drugstores, and department stores nationwide. For more product information and queries including product distributorship, check Psalmstre website www.psalmstre.net.
By Mylene Santos
Let’s face it, we are at our best when stand tall with confidence. But more so when we agree with what our mirror tells us about the health and beauty of our skin.
While many different beauty products are sold in the market today, many experts agree that women need only the basics to take good care of their skin. And these ‘essentials’ need not be expensive.
Look great with these five beauty basics.
1. The ultimate power of moisturizer – face creams come in varieties to cater to different skin types. You can certainly find the right moisturizer to suit your dry, normal, or even oily skin. There are also moisturizers especially formulated for age ranges 20s, 30s, 40’s, and 50s. The older you get, the more prone your skin becomes to premature aging thus you need some protection to prevent this.
2. Daily sunscreen application to prevent aging – experts say the basic step before considering anti-aging cream is to opt for sunscreen. Sunscreen helps block sun’s damaging rays, thus preventing skin aging effects. When the skin is exposed to sunrays without protection, its ability to produce collagen is impacted. Less collagen production means wrinkles, freckles, age spots, spider veins, and saggy skin.
3. Be smart with your cleanser – choose a gentle cleanser. Soaps and liquid cleansers may contain harsh ingredients that could damage your skin. Also washing your face with harsh cleansers could damage the natural lipid barrier of your skin. Over washing and use of strong soaps and cleansers could also lead to skin cracking, peeling, itching, burning, and stinging.
4. Use gentle ‘tools’ – when applying make-up, it is important to use soft, gentle brushes. They should not also contain any substance that can be left onto your skin. Investing on good brushes and replacing them regularly would be a good habit to start now.
5. Spend wisely on cosmetics – anything you put or apply onto your face must contain only gentle ingredients and substances, even cosmetics. Depending on your skin type, you can choose your make-up base to ensure no harsh reaction when applied onto your face. Again, this does not need to be expensive.
Psalmstre’s New Placenta skin care line carries basic skin care products that are proven safe and effective for regular use. Its breakthrough formulation has Bio-Placenta®, an imported ingredient from South Korea, noted for its anti-aging property. Bio-Placenta® combined with Aloe Vera, Vitamin C, Papaya Extract, Goat’s Milk and other natural active ingredients make New Placenta the best-selling anti-aging and whitening herbal soap in the country and the placenta soap brand most preferred in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Dubai.
New Placenta by Psalmstre is available in all leading supermarkets, drugstores, and department stores nationwide.
For interested distributors and dealers, check Psalmstre website www.psalmstre.net or call (02) 715 2500, 0919 8076492 or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
By Mylene Santos
Appearing natural is such an ideal look every woman struggles to have. Basically, when applying make-up, we go overboard and regret looking odd. For starters, it is a must to know your skin type, tone, and texture when purchasing cosmetics.
As for foundation base, here are five essential tips for choosing your perfect shade.
1. Consider the intensity of your skin color- how light or deep is your skin color? Foundation bases are formulated to suit very light, light, light-medium, medium-deep, deep or very deep skin color. If you are not sure of your skin color, try the assistance of the cosmetics sales consultant before buying any foundation.
2. Think about your undertone- .Look closely at your bare skin to check your undertone. Usually, undertones vary from rosy or pink to golden or yellow. If you have a rosy undertone, that means you can opt for foundation base that has a cool undertone. If you have a golden undertone, it means you can use warm undertone. If it’s a combination of rosy and golden undertone, choose a foundation base for neutral undertone.
3. Tanned skin color- If you go for regular tanning, you might want to purchase a foundation base that matches your tanned skin, not your pale complexion. Note also that your skin tone varies in different areas of your face. Keep close watch to adding shade where the sun hits your skin such as nose and forehead.
4. Foundation base should be tested on your face, not on your hand- The best foundation base is one that almost disappears into the skin, meaning it should be the closest match to your skin color. Skin undertones on face and on hand could be different, so better test at least three swatches on your face, preferably your jawline, rather than test it on your hand.
5. Seek the advice of beauty experts- rather than keep guessing and feel frustrated with foundation base purchases you cannot use, consult beauty professionals. They can help you identify your beauty formula, i.e., whether sheer, medium or full coverage; luminous, semi-matte or matte finish; or whether you have a dry, normal/combination or oily skin type.
Of course, there would be days when you just want to look bare and natural, and still want to look your best. Nothing beats fresh and younger-looking and whiter skin on any day. That is the skin promise of New Placenta by Psalmstre.
New Placenta has a complete beauty skin care product line that ensures flawlessly fair and youthful skin. From herbal beauty soaps (Classic and With Goat’s Milk), to day and night cream, and hand and body lotion, you can be sure to look naturally stunning.
New Placenta by Psalmstre are widely distributed nationwide in leading pharmacies, supermarkets, and department stores. For interested distributors, check Psalmstre and New Placenta Facebook pages, or call (02) 715 2500 or mobile number 0919 8076492.
By Mylene Santos
If they say ‘you are what you eat’, then what could be more fun
than to use this as a guide to analyse a stranger, a date, or even yourself?
Interestingly, there have been several studies linking taste and flavour preferences to one’s personality. Since I am a great fan of trivia, I’d like to share with you this week a compilation of what I have read. I had a great fun testing it myself; I also realized how people are mistaken about me, that is, when later on people would disclose how surprised they were that I went for food choices other than what they thought I would be delighted to have.
In the book “What Flavour Is Your Personality?”, Dr. Alan Hirsch, a neurologist, presented his views on this matter. Using ice cream flavours as a parameter, he said one’s choice tells something about the person’s personality.
You must be competitive, accomplished, competent and ambitious if you prefer chocolate chip. This also describes you as generous and the life of the party. Behold, you are compatible with those people who prefer butter pecan or double chocolate chunk.
By Mylene Santos
If waking up each morning is a struggle, we might not be pampering ourselves much that we lose the eagerness to face the day. Surprisingly, doing some things the first hour upon waking up could change our outlook for the day, helping us to feel our best. We share with you an online article from prevention.com written by Michele Bender on how to wake up energized, refreshed, and ready to go. With the right moves and foods, you can easily plow through your busy schedule.
1. Cue energy with color
"Seeing a bright, vibrant hue when you open your eyes gets your adrenaline going—and that sudden surge of energy helps clear the cobwebs and kicks you into gear," says Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute. Put a red, orange, yellow, or fuchsia throw pillow, blanket, or piece of art in the area you first see in the morning, or slip on a robe in one of these shades. You can even make breakfast visually stimulating (and get a nutritional boost) by pouring yourself a glass of antioxidant rich pomegranate or cranberry juice with a sweet slice of orange.
2. Wake up and see the roses
Seeing a bouquet of blooms when they first woke up gave women in a new study a mood lift and energy boost that lasted all day, reports Nancy Etcoff, PhD, a faculty member at Harvard Medical School and the Harvard University Mind/Brain/Behavior Initiative.
3. Stop snoozin'
There's truth in the adage "You snooze, you lose." When you hit snooze, your brain knows it will go off again in a few minutes--so you won't go into the deeper, more restful stages of slumber. That means you'll be more tired than if you'd gotten up when it first sounded. A better strategy: "Set your alarm for when you really need to get up," says Jodi Mindell, PhD, associate director of the Sleep Disorders Center at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. "That extra, uninterrupted sleep makes you feel more rested and refreshed when you get out of bed."
4. Picture the day ahead
Once you're awake, close your eyes and picture yourself alert and energetic. "Imagining an activity fires up the same parts of your brain that are used when you actually experience it," says Dana Lightman, PhD, a behavioral psychologist in Abington, PA. "Thinking positively about the day ahead energizes you."
5. Drink instant energy
Drinking a big glass of water as soon as you get up is a good way to replenish the fluid your body loses overnight, and it provides instant energy. "Everything that happens in your body requires water," says Holly Andersen, MD, an assistant professor of medicine at Weill Cornell Medical Center. "Without enough of it, your systems have to work harder in every respect—which can cause fatigue." Indeed, even a 2% drop in water stores can tire you physically and mentally. Starting to sip early also gives you a head start on the 11 cups of water the Institute of Medicine now recommends women consume throughout the day to stay hydrated.
6. Let the sunshine in
A splash of sunlight makes you feel more awake, so read the paper by a sunny window or step outside for a few minutes while having your coffee. "Daylight signals your biological clock to stop the secretion of melatonin, a hormone that makes you sleepy, and promotes wakefulness," says James B. Maas, PhD, a professor and past chairman of the department of psychology at Cornell University.
It also increases the brain's level of serotonin, a chemical that boosts mood. If it's still dark when you get up, consider purchasing a dawn stimulator (from $80; Light Therapy Products), a device that gradually brightens a light source at a preprogrammed time. Set it to create a dawn that breaks a half hour before your usual wake up time and grows to maximum brightness when your alarm goes off—even when your eyes are closed, the light that passes through your lids signals your internal clock to trigger waking neurons in your brain.
7. Give yourself a face rub
"Massaging your face boosts circulation, making it a surefire way to wake up," says Maggy Dunphy, general manager of the Aria Spa and Club in Vail, CO. Starting at your forehead and working down to your chin, lightly flutter tap or drum your fingertips, varying the velocity, intensity, and location until you've touched your entire face. Bonus: These moves give you a quick healthy glow.
8. Have a romp in the hay
Physical activity is one of the best ways to shake off grogginess—and having sex boosts your body's levels of chemicals associated with stamina (testosterone), energy (dopamine), and calmness (oxytocin), says Helen E. Fisher, PhD, a research professor in the department of anthropology at Rutgers University. What a great way to start the day!
By Mylene Santos
Spending a little extra time fixing your brows can add glamour and contour on your face. Whether you have thick or thin brows, simple tricks like tweezing and filling out can help you achieve the look you desire.
For practical reasons, you should seek a salon professional to shape your brows. If you wish to do it on your own, do so after you have figured out what shape is best for you. Just remember to pull out one hair at a time and pause when you are using the tweezer. When filling, choose an ideal shade of eyebrow pencil to compliment your complexion and brow hair color and fill through gentle, patient strokes until you have perfected the art.
For your inspiration, we are featuring best celebrity eyebrow styles compilation from shoppinglifestyle.com. One or two can actually compliment the shape of your face and could be your signature brows.
Camilla Belle has arches that are luscious and excellently shaped with precise filling to achieve a definition. To duplicate this, you can fake lusher brows by taking an eyebrow pencil and drawing fine hair-like strokes in sparse areas.
As promised last issue, we will share with you this time 8 bad skin habits that will shock you. This is part of the online article published by totalbeauty.com that would surely help you improve the way you take care of your skin.
1. NOT USING OIL ON YOUR FACE – Does simply hearing the word ‘oil’ make your break out? While you may balk at the idea of applying oil on your face, especially if you have oily skin, using it can actually decrease your skin’s oil production. Sounds crazy, but over-cleansing stimulates the sebum glands which prompts more oil production. Applying oil on the skin can have the opposite effect and actually slows oil production, making you less shiny.
2. EATING DAIRY AND OTHER INFLAMMATORY FOODS – The glass of milk that your mother forced you to drink as a kid may prove to be harmful to your skin and health. Dr. Jessica Wu, MD, Los Angeles-based dermatologist and author of “Feed Your Face” says cow’s milk, even organic, contains its own hormones and growth factors that are absorbed into the bloodstream that may cause acne in women. Also dairy products are pro-inflammatory, meaning, they can worsen acne.
3. USING TOO MUCH CORTISONE – Your home’s first-aid kit may contain a product with cortisone, the one you use to treat rashes and bug bites. Over-the-counter forms of cortisone can relieve redness, swelling, and flaking. But remember that cortisone is also a type of steroid and its continual use (for long term) can lead to tachyphylaxis, or addiction to cortisone. Too much use of cortisone can cause collagen breakdown leading to thinning of the skin and worse, stretch marks.
4. NOT AIRING OUT YOUR MAKEUP BRUSHES – At least once a week, wash your makeup brushes and make sure to allow them to ‘breathe’. Not airing out of makeup brushes may lead to a rare skin infection normally seen in aquarium workers and those who work with fish.
5. USE OF RECREATIONAL DRUGS – One should avoid recreational drugs not only for health reason, in general, but for their disgusting consequences. Recreational drugs may be contaminated and thus may cause Purpura, a rare skin disorder. It usually shows symptoms such as crusty, purplish areas of dead skin that have a good chance to contract infection.
6. TAKING SUPPLEMENTS WITHOUT CONSULTING YOUR DOC – Miracle supplements sold over-the-counter and not recommended by your dermatologist or your primary care physician, can interfere with prescribed medication. Take the case of calcium supplements which can reduce the efficacy of medications prescribed as antibiotics or as thyroid hormone pills. Vitamin D also can lessen the efficacy of a cholesterol-lowering medicine.
7. DRINKING YOUR WATER RATHER THAN EATING IT – 8 glasses of water a day does not guarantee that your body can stay hydrated. Your body does not retain a good portion of the prescribed daily water intake as the water goes right through you by frequent urination. To retain water and stay hydrated, try eating your water instead. Do so by having fruits and vegetables rich in water such as watermelon and zucchini.
8. NOT CONSULTING YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE REFILLING YOUR PRESCRIPTION – Some medications such as isotretinoin, need to be monitored closely. It would be really smart to consult with your dermatologist first as some products may be harmful to your liver, may drop by blood pressure, or cause electrolyte imbalances. If you were prescribed isotretinoin, make sure to dash to your derma’s clinic first before you head to the pharmacy for a refill.
The red, pink or purple streaks or indented lines, or those that may fade to light pink, white or silver and which are commonly found mostly in the stomach, thighs, breasts, hips, upper arms are stretch marks. Oftentimes, it is not a cause for alarm. Unless otherwise your physician thinks they are a sign of a serious medical condition.
But most commonly, what causes stretch marks?
A change in your body, such as pregnancy or puberty; if you have trimmed off some weight, or if you do weights and lifts like bodybuilders do and gain rapid muscle mass, then you are most likely to have stretch marks. The middle layer of the skin (dermis) is made up of strong and inter-connected fibres that can stretch as your body grows. But it can break in places when there is a rapid stretching, allowing deeper skin layers to show through.
However, there are underlying health conditions that may cause stretch marks. If you believe you fall under this category, better seek your physician’s diagnosis. You may have Cushing’s Syndrome or Marfan Syndrome. The former occurs when your body produces excessive amounts of cortisol. Stretch marks caused by Cushing’s Syndrome may show as noticeable and dark coloured marks. As for Marfan Syndrome, stretch marks are shown mostly on shoulders, hips, or lower back. This health condition is caused by a faulty gene affecting your body’s skin and connective tissues, weakening your body tissues and affecting their elasticity. In rather rare cases, stretch marks may be caused by prolonged or inappropriate use of creams or lotions for treatment of certain skin conditions such as eczema. These products contain corticosteroids to ease skin inflammatory, but the same ingredient can also cause diminished amount of collagen in the skin. The less collagen you have in your skin, the more probability that you will develop stretch marks. When you have to use such products, make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions or your physician’s.
Fortunately, there are ways to get rid of common stretch marks. As shared by wikihow.com, here are six ways you can do to not stress out over your stretch marks:
1. USE MOISTURIZERS
– A study comparing herbal moisturizers found that people who lotioned up daily showed significant improvement in skin appearance and elasticity. Moisturize new stretch marks or areas you think you’d likely to get them in the future. For old stretch marks, applying moisturizers may improve the appearance of marks. If you are into home remedies, make your own moisturizer by taking equal parts of wheat germ oil, olive oil, and aloe vera.
2. USE RETIN-A
– A study from the University of Michigan suggests people who use Retin-A or retinoic acid cream on new stretch marks saw huge improvements. That’s because Retin-A is proven to boost collagen production to help skin stretch out and avoid tears. Don’t do this though if you are pregnant or nursing. Further, Retin-A would not be helpful in improving old stretch marks.
3. USE GLYCOLIC ACID
– This can also help increase collagen production. Glycolic Acid is an alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA), a chemical compound similar to what is often used in chemical skin peels. Glycolic Acid can be bought over-the-counter and is safe for topical use of pregnant women.
4. COMBINE GLYCOLIC ACID & RETIN-A
– Prep your skin with Retin-A before using Glycolic Acid. This combination is sure to dramatically improve the appearance of stretch marks. A no-no for pregnant women though.
5. TRY VITAMIN E OIL
– As they say, Vitamin E is the miracle cure for stretch marks. One study shows, however, that it is more effective on women who have been pregnant before. Make the most of your regular lotion by adding Vitamin E oil and be prepared to see excellent results.
Our eyes give our age, thus, no matter how much you
spend for expensive creams, when you neglect your eyes, you fail
to exude confidence in your beauty!
Dark circles around the eye, saggy skin under it, and other eye concerns are typically easier to address than you thought. Here are eye-alarming concerns and how you can deal with them.
Dark Circles – when we lose skin elasticity, blood vessels become more visible thus creating a discoloured look under the eye. Concealers help in lightening these spots and give a ‘lift’ look.
Choose a yellow-based concealer that is two shades lighter than your skin tone. Apply a dab of the concealer from along the lower lashes to the innermost corner of your eye. You may use a brush or your ring finger to do this and gently apply the concealer. After application, dust a sheer, loose powder to lock the concealer in place.
Dull Eyelashes – mascara isn’t enough to liven your eyes thus before mascara application, curl your lashes first. Three firm and gentle pumps of your eyelash curlers would be enough to give your lashes a certain wow.
Thin and Light Eyebrows – thicker and more defined eyebrows take away some of your age. So when you have sparse eyebrows, fill them in.
Laugh lines or Crow’s Feet – one mistake most women make to camouflage lines around their eyes are applying heavy make-up. Powder or foundation tends to sink onto the lines making lines around the eyes more prominent and your face older.
To avoid this, use concealer on the area, specifically under the outer third of your lower lashes and apply a creamy highlighter below the lines.
Tired, Puffy Eyes – caffeine products can naturally shrink dark blood vessels, such as tea bags.
Soak tea bags in hot water for a minute and dip them in iced water for a few seconds. You may also opt for keeping tea bags in your freezer. Lie down and place the chilled tea bags directly to your eyes for a good 15 minutes. This will reduce puffiness and relax the skin around the eye.
Droopy Eye Look – to get rid of your droopy eye look, use eyeliners for an instant lift. There are several available in the market, both in gel and liquid form. They glide easily and help you avoid having a droopy eye look without really costing you much.
For easier, more natural fixes, you can try chilled slices of raw potato in place of tea bags; or leftover cucumber slices. If none of these works for your puffy eyes, try other routines, such as using chilled milk. Relax for 20-30 minutes with cotton pads dipped in chilled milk and placed on your eyelids. Egg whites too can help reduce eye puffiness and make eye feel lighter. Beat a few stiff egg whites and apply around your eyes using a brush. Rinse in cold water after 20 minutes and see the difference.